I’m embarrassed to start out a tribute post with this, but I saw this in a magazine and couldn’t help myself. It was PEOPLE. A picture on the front that read, "Adam admits 'I'm gay'".
Seriously?
Raise your hand if you REALLY needed a magazine to tell you that.
On to more important news.....I've been a Stoneman for over a year. And contrary to popular belief, being the ONLY daughter-in-law has its downsides. Sure, you're the favorite, but what choice do they have? Yes, the nieces and nephews adore you, the parents give you great gifts and make you feel like a million bucks every time you see them, but the 20 year old Chihuahua will ALWAYS bite your ankles, and
(are you ready for this? this is something NO ONE tells you).
When you marry up, it means the girls in the family are “up” too, meaning you have a lot to live UP to. A few things I’ve started to learn by example.
(serious hotness all around in this one.)
Hair:
Mom/Sister 2- hair trimmed every six weeks. Always perfectly primped (and on the rarest, most desperate occasion, dyed or tattooed). Always beautiful.
Sister 1- Grows her beautiful curly locks out until its long enough to cut and give to cancer patience in the ghettos of northern Moscow.
Me- doesn’t remember the last time she got her hair cut, doesn’t do her hair. ever. and a kid in the ward asked why she wore a nest on the back of her head every day.
Cleanliness:
Mom- will always apologize for the mess, although upon serious inspection, not a button collection is out of place. Washes her sheets weekly. And house always smells like freshly lit candles, although I still haven’t figured out how one candle permeates la casa grande.
Sister 1- Washes her sheets daily, as she houses one or all of us at any given hour. At first smell, the house has a hint of marijuana- Mr. Stoneman and I exchange confused/horrified/humored looks and discover dried burnt sage smells exactly the same. ALWAYS smells good, whether its another creation on the stove or incense burning.
Sister 2- Has 4 kids and somehow has an immaculate house always. Never smells like food- always essential oils. Washes sheets every other week.
Me- Have been searching for the past 10 months for something to cover up the smell of sausage and garlic that seeps in from downstairs. No luck yet.
oh yeah, and I just learned from them washing sheets every 4 months isn’t exactly “sanitary”. who knew.
Mom, Sister 2- Immediately call every day, multiple times daily, to see how she’s feeling, what she needs, and if anyone is there helping her. Fasts. prays. creates loving posts.
Sister 1- Is over at her house since day one- making DELICIOUS meals (as always) and waiting on her hand and foot. Calling when she’s not there to see if she needs her to wait on her some more. Almost ditches seriously needed vacay time to attend to her.
Me- Buys a card. Two cards, because I don’t know her well enough to know which one she’d like. Asks husband to get her address so we can send it. Forgets to send it.
I’m glad they haven’t given up on me yet. (and trust me, that’s JUST the beginning)
(Also…turns out that leading studies show marrying UP doesn’t mean my own family doesn’t have these great qualities, it just means I don’t. For some reason, these talents/abilities/innate qualities skipped me. or maybe I skipped them.)
HERE’S TO ANOTHER YEAR!
(don’t know how long that picture of Adam will be up there, folks. its creeping me out. I think Britney Spears had a similar spread some years ago.)
7 comments:
I personally consider you one of the most amazing people I know. I don't know Mr. Stoneman's family, but I guarantee you that they could list a few wonderful things about you as well.
Is just buying new sheets twice a year count as sanitary?
By the way, LOVED our movie date yesterday, LOVED hearing your songs, and definately think you should sing the song you wrote for institute!
haha... you make me laugh. I love reading your blog! I'm positive you are just fine.
i'm totally offended. offended.
i can totally see why you thought that i would be upset with this post. I HATE it when people make me look like i'm not struggling to survive every day. HATE IT:).
Also, sheets get washed in 'theory' every couple weeks. reality is different. and immaculate house? you came when i left for utah that one time and saw me for who i really am. (you know the time right? it was when i was weeping on the phone with the airline begging them to let me change my flight so that i could at least scrape the food off of the floors and counters and pick up the big chunks (dirty diapers) before you came over. they didn't let me so you saw filth at it's finest and have been nice to me anyway.)
i'm going to let the perfectly primped comments go because we both know that i stay in my pajamas all day and am known to not brush my teeth until noon some days.
in spite of your beautiful, and kind words, rem, i know that you see and know the real me and love me anyway. i thank and love you for that and so so so much more! we are all better for having you in the family and love you lots!
OK.. this is the "UP" Mom???!!! More like "hey, what's up??" Let's have a little review.. Item #1- hair- Yours is long and flowing- you let Lennon turn it into snarls (very patiently I might add)And you look like a model every time I see you. Mine is died to cover the gray and rarely combed. In fact, Lennon told me this weekend that I looked like I had a bubble in the back of my head. Item #2-Cleanliness... Boy can we talk! My button collection is the only thing that is clean and organized in the WHOLE house! Don't open the pantry, something will fall out! And Candles to cover up "Other smells"! Item #3 Grandma Love... Yes, I have thoughtful daughters... all 3 of them in their very own way! I remember you coming to help me just before your wedding when you had "all the time in the world" (bride to be! We all have flaws, (some more than others) The great thing is that we all love each other in spite of them. Glad you married "Up" if that's what it's or "he's" called! Love you!
REMI!! How are you? Brittany told me about your blog, I was so excited to check it out and see how you are! you are gorgeous and amazing. congrats on your one year anniversary. &, great post... when will you realize how fantastic you are.
I wish you would stop feeling so sorry for yourself. I have YET (you hear that YET) to meet anyone who hasn't fallen hopelessly in LOVE with Remi Lundeen-Stoneman. You are amazing.. everything about you is amazing. I love you. Seroiusly.. creepy kind of friend love. ;)
I wish I could see you daily.. so don't go knocking yourself.. you are perfect as is. Your flaws are precious.
ooohhh remi- where to begin- well i seriously hope grandma never reads this and my hair was never healthy enough to donate. i'm lucky to even wash myself daily-let alone my sheets.- the marijuana thing, well you almost got me there- and my posture in that photo; oh my terribleness, one thing we are perfect in -is our love for you, nat and i couldn't have been blessed with a better extra sister, we love you -yes, even enough to give you clean sheets to sleep in when we are fortunate enough to be graced by your beautiful presence. call me this week, let's chat, i love you b
Post a Comment